Re: root name servers

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Wed Aug 02 00:13:24 1995

> I could be wrong because I don't fully understand BIND internals here,
> but if anyone wanted to copy the root domain and add new toplevel domains
> like .bork or .die on their own networks, they could just do it. Any
> references to .bork or .die would be correctly resolved and any other
> references would be delegated to the same .com and .org and .net servers
> that are currently in use. If other networks felt there was value in
> accessing the .bork and .die domains they would do similarily referencing
> your nameserver to resolve such references.
>
> Is there any technical reason this wouldn't work?

Sure. Someone physically DENY'ing you the ability to transfer
zone info or domain lookups. Of course, this is localized
protection, so you could still hijack till your heart's content
on all upper level servers.

- paul

Paul Ferguson
US Sprint                                          tel: 703.689.6828
Managed Network Engineering                   internet: [email protected]
Reston, Virginia  USA                             http://www.sprintmrn.com