Re: root name servers

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Tue Aug 01 23:23:05 1995

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Kent W. England wrote:

> At 8:43 AM 7/29/95, Michael Dillon wrote:
> >
> >What about hijacking the root name servers? Here's the scenario.....
> >Could people be plotting this even as we speak? Is it a good idea? Would
> >it solve the namespace problems we currently have?
> >
> >Michael Dillon
>
> I want bork.bork.bork and die.die.die top level domains, please or I will
> hijack your hijack.  Thank you.

The whole point of hijacking the root domain servers is that it turns DNS
from a centralised system into a more distributed system where
cooperation is essential.

I could be wrong because I don't fully understand BIND internals here,
but if anyone wanted to copy the root domain and add new toplevel domains
like .bork or .die on their own networks, they could just do it. Any
references to .bork or .die would be correctly resolved and any other
references would be delegated to the same .com and .org and .net servers
that are currently in use. If other networks felt there was value in
accessing the .bork and .die domains they would do similarily referencing
your nameserver to resolve such references.

Is there any technical reason this wouldn't work?

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: [email protected]