Re: root name servers

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Sat Jul 29 15:35:28 1995

> there has never been a shortage of volunteers to run root servers.  i'm
> not sure that the exchange points are good spots, since the folks who run
> exchange points (MFS, NASA, Pac Bell, etc) usually know a lot more about
> the link level than the network level -- and besides, i'm not sure that a
> root name server ought to have an ASN and run BGP4, which means that it
> will have to be behind a router that _does_ have an ASN and run BGP4.  if
> this is to be the case, i'd rather see the routers inside NSP offices,
> where UNIX experts and network experts are more plentiful than at the
> exchange points.

Actually, I think that it might be interesting to look at the possibility
of putting Root DNS on the Route-Servers.

> to that end, NS.ISC.ORG is one 10Mb/s hop away from BADnet (barrnet-alternet-
> digital) in the DECWRL computer room.  it's likely that i will shortly add
> an SMDS T1 connection to the CIX cloud for other reasons, and that will help
> a tiny bit (only a tiny bit, since Alternet has T3 to that cloud from the
> router i peer with in that room.)
>
> work is underway (by the Postel-Mockapetris-Vixie-Kosters quadumvirite) to
> implement Bill Manning's suggestion of putting all the root servers under
> a single domain, which will let DNS' name compression start winning for us.
> if this works out, we should be able to just about double the number of root
> name servers.  NSP's with multiple T3's to geographically disparite exchange
> points will be given strong preference.  sites outside the United States will
> be given strong preference.

Interesting... That should definitely help.

> the root servers are not currently suffering from load (my own server does
> about 100 queries per second, which is about 10% of the capacity of my little
> 66Mhz/64MB BSD/OS machine).  the goal here is to reduce load on the wide area
> net rather than on the root servers themselves.  and also to increase the
> likelihood that any given host can reach a root server during times of wide-
> scale connectivity problems (which seem to be more common lately?)

True.  However, the nice thing about a RNS on an XP is that the RNS is one
hop from EVERY provider at the XP, and is independent of OTHER providers.
I agree that the XP management shouldn't manage the RNS.  However, I would
be QUITE comfortable with MERIT running it on the RS or adjacent machine.

> > For security and stability reasons (aswell as political) they should
> > not be run by a single organisation.
>
> they never have been.

Although I agree that ALL RNS's shouldn't be run by a single organization, I would
not have a problem with the RNS's at the XP's being run by the RADB group.

Owen