Re: EP.NET ???

  • From: Peter Lothberg
  • Date: Fri Jul 28 19:30:55 1995

> 	There have been a number of questions that have been fielded
> 	wrt the EP.NET domain and traceroute failures within that
> 	domain.  For your edification, here is a brief note on the EP.NET
> 	domain.
>
> 	EP.NET operated as a service by the RA for exchange points around
> 	the globe.  Any exchange point may become part of the EP.NET domain.
> 	The default assignment algorithm follows.  The next level
> 	identifies the specific exchange.  The next level identifies
> 	the attaching organization.
>
> 	So, the default for BillsBait&SushiShop (BBSS) at MAE-WEST is:
>
> 			bbss.mae-west.ep.net
>
> 	When BBSS attachs to the AADS NAP, the default name is:
>
> 			bbss.aads.ep.net
>
> 	Selection of provider specific names is encouraged.
> 	So when BBSS gets around to it, they may change the names to
> 	something like this:
>
> 		mae-west.bbss.org
> 		aads.bbss.org

Bill,

Personally I think that this is actually a value-subtracted service,
as the EP.NET organisation does not run the named boxes, or the
exchange points.

It would be much more helpfull the the interfaces that faces the NAP
and another provider where following each providers naming
conventions, and had a domain-name that would point the users to the
organisation that actually operates the boxes.

You can still provide the service of running the nameservice.

--Peter