Re: NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES

  • From: Tim Salo
  • Date: Fri Jul 28 12:14:08 1995

> From: Mark Kosters <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES
> To: [email protected] (Che-Hoo Cheng)
> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
> Cc: [email protected]
> 	[...]
> Here is policy that a group of our lawyers and technical staff has put
> together to try to solve the legal quandary that the InterNIC is currently
> involved in. If there are any suggestions for improvements, let me or
> Dave Graves ([email protected]) know.
> 	[...]
> (c)  The use or registration of the Domain Name by Applicant does not interfere
> with or infringe the right of any third party in any jurisdiction with respect
> to trademark, service mark, tradename, company name or any other intellectual
> property right;
> 	[...]

I read this to say that it may not be possible to submit a domain name
application without consulting a lawyer, searching tradmark and other
databases, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

"of any third party in any jurisdiction"???  Worldwide???

How about adding a phrase like "to the best of our knowledge" to these
sections?

-tjs