Re: US Domain -- County Delegations

  • From: Barney Wolff
  • Date: Thu Jul 27 13:39:13 1995

>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 07:48:42 -0700
>From: Paul A Vixie <[email protected]>
>
>> The whole point of a name space is to make things easier to remember.
>
>This is the old invariant.  It's varied.  I'm still waiting for a proposal
>for a hierarchy which will hold 25,000,000 names and still have them all
>easy to remember, or easy to guess from external knowledge.
>
>The new "whole point of" the DNS name space is to provide names which change
>less often than IP addresses change.  If we could do just that we'd be winning.

I'd like to question that 25e6 figure.  It's one "mid-to-large" (to quote
you) company in the US for every 10 inhabitants.  Really?  Is it perhaps
a world figure instead?

If we want a hash that's easy to compute from the company name, use the
first three characters of the name, not something which requires external
knowledge.  It certainly does not solve the name-conflict problem, but it
does provide sufficient division of the namespace to make the load on
any one branch bearable, both for name service and for registration.

Barney Wolff  <[email protected]>