Re: PI vs PA Address Space

  • From: Michael F. Nittmann
  • Date: Fri May 19 20:25:47 1995

the proposal comes from a provider that cannot route around a cable cut
for now more than 24h.

Mike

On Fri, 19 May 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> The hard core /18 model ("we won't accept prefixes greater than length
> 18") is untenable and throws out one of CIDR's features.  It does not
> allow for a time period where a customer is migrating from provider A
> to provider B and will have end systems living within both provider
> based prefixes at any instant during the migration.
>
> The user community should not be forced into flash cuts, and the
> providers can make the needed overlap period of time work for bounded
> time frames.
>
> At a minimum, the model needs to be /18+E (E==entropy due to customer
> migrations).
>
> peter

Michael F. Nittmann                                             [email protected]
Network Architect						[email protected]
B3 Corporation, Marshfield, WI (CIX Member)               (715) 387 1700 xt. 158
US Cyber (SM), Washington DC				  (715) 573 2448
							  (715) 831 7922