Re: PI vs PA Address Space

  • From: Michael F. Nittmann
  • Date: Thu May 18 19:30:20 1995

no, I am not. I don't bend reality to adapt to my disbility, but find
solutions to challenges offered.

Mike

(and i don't whine but work on it)

On Thu, 18 May 1995 [email protected]
wrote:

> > Eventually routers stopped being able to handle full routing
> > in 16Mb of memory, and suddenly the very real cost of
> > carrying routing information around became clear to a number
> > of providers: how much did replacing a bunch of mostly-AGS+
> > routers with 64Mb Cisco 7000-series routers cost?
> >

> This memory jump has occured more than once.  I remember 4 and 8 meg
> routers.  16 meg boxen were deamed large enough when they were created.
> The leap to 64 is just another step in the process.
>
> > nothing longer than /18 or /19 (it's /18 now, but it's
> > not entirely inflexible, and dialogues continue) will
> > have global scope.
>
> As an aside, is anyone else besides Sprint behind this /18
> model?  I know that Sean is a big proponent but I have heard
> no other public comment on this. (well there was one, which
> indicated that the community had reached consenses on this point,
> which is why I ask.)
>

> --bill

Michael F. Nittmann                                             [email protected]
Network Architect						[email protected]
B3 Corporation, Marshfield, WI (CIX Member)               (715) 387 1700 xt. 158
US Cyber (SM), Washington DC				  (715) 573 2448
							  (715) 831 7922