Re: Draft internic ip allocation doc

  • From: Louis A. Mamakos
  • Date: Wed May 17 02:10:38 1995

> No, I think he means longer. IN-ADDR.ARPA can only be delegated on octet
> boundaries, so IN-ADDR for /16 and shorter prefixes will be delegated in /16
> chunks. IN-ADDR for prefixes longer than /16 must still be maintained by the
> root, since they cannot be delegated.
>
> For example, assume an ISP has been allocated the prefix 204.160/14. Along with
> this, the InterNIC will delegate the corresponding IN-ADDR domains:
>
> 	160.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 	161.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 	162.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 	163.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
>
> If the ISP were instead only assigned 204.160.0/17, the associated IN-ADDR
> range would be:
>
> 	0.160.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 	127.160.204.IN-ADDR.ARPA
>
> which is not octet-aligned and therefore cannot be delegated.

Well, you can delegate these as 128 individual zones.  With a little
bit of automation to help, it may approach practical.  You can
delegate a single domain name in the limiting case.

Louis A. Mamakos,  Manager of Network Engineering   [email protected],  uunet!louie
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                            Voice: +1 703 206 5823
3060 Williams Drive                                 Fax:   +1 703 206 5908
Fairfax, VA 22031