Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

  • From: Karl Denninger, MCSNet
  • Date: Mon Apr 24 10:24:25 1995

> Don't know what other folk are seeing, or if y'all even look.  But a
> significant number of leaf customer sites 'round these parts seem to be
> pseudo-random route generators.  I watched a small POP, less than 100
> customers, for about six weeks.  I would never had guessed that DEC, IBM,
> MIT, and dozens of surprising Bs and Cs were in rural Southern Oregon.
> I'm sure that the POP's peer ASs would have been very impressed if we had
> redistributed those routes to external BGP sessions.
>
> And we occasionally get some exciting announcements from overseas links.
>
> To move along an other tangent...  What is the general wisdom on putting
> pull-ups on route annoucements to deter route flap?  Vadim kindly gave me
> a static Null 250 hack to keep announcement up even if the source of the
> route drops it.  Hence, you won't get the !H until you get to our border.
> Los pobre packitos will travel all the way and then get whacked.  Seems
> to subvert one interpretation one could read into the intent of BGP.
>
> randy

What happens if you do this and the target is multihomed?  As long as you
don't violate the integrity of the alternate paths, nobody is going to
complain (and some will bless you).

If you do lots of folks will complain.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 POPs online through Chicago, all 28.8
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "[email protected]" for more information
ISDN: Surf at Smokin' Speed  | WWW: http://www.mcs.net, gopher: gopher.mcs.net