Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Mon Apr 24 01:36:53 1995

On Sun, 23 Apr 1995 12:33:54 -0500 (CDT) you said:
>Hank,
>
>Enduser filtering (CERN) is in principle completely different from what we
>(might if not possible else) do:
>
>I am not supposed to filter anything between meetpoints and customers,
>because I agree to some people who pay for it to provide Internet access.
>
>I would filter nothing at all (curretnly do filter nothing), which does
>not mean that my suport hosts and networks are open.
>Filtering comes alo into place when customers want only access between
>certain networks,
>but 			in general
>
>NSPs/ISPs are not supposed to filter at all.
>
>Routing is different. We filter routing updates (not access filters) to
>accelerate BGP convergence. We filter what we announce to the outside
>world (of course not all the trash we get in).

I don't filter outgoing routing updates to speed BGP convergence.  I do it
so as not to pollute the Internet with leaked bad nets.  It has happened
to me and has happened to everyone.  Just look at the recent nets that
Australia was leaking.  If the routing access lists were automatically
created every day based on the data in the routing DB, then this would
not happen.  Of course, no one can force you but your service provider
can filter what he/she hears from you based on the same rules.  Then you
have a double secure routing scheme.

>Mike
>Michael F. Nittmann
>[email protected]