Re: Operations training materials

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sun Apr 23 04:58:07 1995

On Sat, 22 Apr 1995, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Not for me, I've done my homework. Unfortunately, I no longer have
> > many of the "texbooks" nor a coherent record of all my sources of info
> > so if I wanted to train another person it would be like reinventing the
> > wheel. :-(
>
> Well then.  Money meet mouth, mouth money.  Jeez!

Look Randy, this thread started out with people from Sprint and ANS?
talking about the efforts involved in getting new operations people on
stream and pointing out that they simply couldn't provide any training
for their new ISP customers.

What I'm trying to point out is that there is more than one way to skin a
cat, i.e. writing a tutorial for the WWW is a far more cost effective
training tool than trying to do one-on-one with each new ISP that signs
on. My perspective is that of someone who has just climbed most of the
steepest part of the learning curve and who has noticed that many of my
peers (new ISP's) haven't got a clue and don't know where to find the info.

I point them at http://www.isoc.org, http://www.merit.edu,
http://www.ripe.net and http://www.internic.net but they still have to go
rooting around in there looking for the key items in a mass of
information that is of lesser utility. There is no map! The source
documents are nice to have, but without a map you don't even know if you
are looking at the right ones!

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-549-1036
Network Operations                                  Fax: +1-604-542-4130
Okanagan Internet Junction                     Internet: [email protected]
http://www.junction.net  -  The Okanagan's 1st full-service Internet provider