Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Sat Apr 22 18:22:17 1995
  • Posted-date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 15:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

> There is a MUCH simplier solution.
>
> First, use DNS instead of centralized WHOIS database.  DNS already
> has IN-ADDR.ARPA zones with PTR RRs and it is nothing to add TXT RRs
> with contact etc information.
> InterNIC delegates /8 or /16 zones to providers, providers delegate
> /16s and /24s to other providers or customers.
>
> Since end-users will keep their contact information in their primary
> servers, right on premises, the likelihood of it being up-to-date
> is much higher -- simply because every time the LAN administrator
> will add or remove a host he'll see it.

at least two problems with this approach:

- delegation does not imply announcement or reachability
  DNS registration should -NOT- do the same, but it does.
- People thus far have not been willing to deploy the segmentation
  needed to split DNS delegations along CIDR bounds.  Until then
  we are "stuck" with classful alignments in DNS.
- This was considered and abandoned as another attempt to overload
  the DNS.

The flaw in this approach is that the top level delegation point
can always override any downstream delegation point. (can you say
restraint of trade?  Sure you can..)

Still this approach has been looked at and it has a couple of really
nice technical points.  It will be stronger when we get SIG RR's
and dynamic update.  Perhaps we can revive it?

--bill