Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Sat Apr 22 17:52:41 1995

Bill Manning wrote:

>Even with a route registry, you have no way of knowing, apriora, that
>the registration is correct.  There have already been "helpful" attempts
>to register information for others w/o their consent.

Yep.

>In general, it depends on religious registration in whois and/or rwhois,
>the distributed IRR and PGP.  Here is a brief summary:

>   Basically, I have made a proposal to have the Internic set an
>   example by registering all delegations in whois/RWhois and
>   signing the delegation.

>   All down-stream ISPs should do the same (register delegations
>   in RWhois and sign any downstream delegations)

>   When a custodian wishes to register a delegation for routing,
>   they sign the request.

There is a MUCH simplier solution.

First, use DNS instead of centralized WHOIS database.  DNS already
has IN-ADDR.ARPA zones with PTR RRs and it is nothing to add TXT RRs
with contact etc information.

Delegation of authority is done the same way as it's done with
IN-ADDR zones.  The mechanism is in place and works.

InterNIC delegates /8 or /16 zones to providers, providers delegate
/16s and /24s to other providers or customers.

Since end-users will keep their contact information in their primary
servers, right on premises, the likelihood of it being up-to-date
is much higher -- simply because every time the LAN administrator
will add or remove a host he'll see it.

--vadim