Re: Has PSI been assigned network 1?

  • From: Karl Denninger, MCSNet
  • Date: Wed Apr 19 22:20:27 1995

> In message <[email protected]>, Vadim Antonov writes:
> > [email protected] (John G. Scudder) wrote:
> >
> > >What AS690 does is not just bureaucratic silliness.  It's also enlightened
> > >self-interest (as Curtis keeps saying).  If enough people have the sense to
> > >want to protect themselves, the Routing Registry will fly.
> >
> > I agree with the idea of Routing Registry (although i'm more than sceptical
> > about RADB in its present form, replacing distributed computation with
> > a cental box not controlled by the service providers).
> >
> > However, my point is that it should be easy to use and should be on-line;
> > the NACR-style configuration nightmare is not going to fly.
> >
> > --vadim
>

> Vadim,
>
> How about if we put an HTTP front end on it in place of the e-mail
> interface and you can use your favorite forms capable web browser?
> Would that be easy enough to use?
>
> If so, can you live with an e-mail interface for a few months?
>
> Curtis

I'll jump in here and say that if you do that you have an instant convert
here in me.

That's part #1.

Part #2 is a little more interesting.  It involves people publicizing their
policies (BTW, I believe these must be PUBLIC -- if you're going to use a RA
then let's know what everyone's rules are.) and putting THOSE in the RA.

Here's a stab at how I believe today:

1)	MCSNet will aggregate where possible and reasonably implementable
	without causing service degredation.
2)	MCSNet will accept and announce for customers specific routes at no
	more specific than 24 bits, IF the customer coming onto MCSNet with
	those number(s) can provide evidence that they were delegated to
	them.  A SWIP entry to the customer's name and contact info is
	considered sufficient evidence.  We will announce these as necessary
	and we will aggregate, again, where possible.
3)	MCSNet will *accept from others* routes which are no more specific
	than 24 bits.  MCSNet requires that those who peer with us make a
	reasonable attempt to aggregate as (1) above.
4)	Routes will be accepted without prejudice, except that MCSNet
	reserves the right to weight incoming routes and paths as it deems
	appropriate to load balance circuits and capacity according to
	physical and business requirements.
5)	In general, MCSNet does not redistribute routes learned from one
	peer to another.
6)	In general, MCSNet will send customers full routing tables
	unmolested IF they are (1) multi homed, and (2) have or can
	demonstrate competence in managing the route announcements sent
	to MCSNet.
7)	In general, routes which MCSNet distributes to customers under (6)
	will be agreed not to be sent beyond the direct customer (except for
	those generated internally at MCSNet under *8* below).
8)	In general, routes which MCSNet originates (ie: connected customer
	routes generated by MCSNet) may be redistributed unaltered
	(including attributes).
9)	MCSNet expects the following from those who want a BGP session:
	a)	Complience with 3, 6, 7 and 8 where applicable.
	b)	Non-interferance with MCSNet announcements within these
		guidelines.

Discussion?

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 POPs online through Chicago, all 28.8
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "[email protected]" for more information
ISDN: Surf at Smokin' Speed  | WWW: http://www.mcs.net, gopher: gopher.mcs.net