Re: SNMP vs 1.1.1.1 (fwd)

  • From: Michael F. Nittmann
  • Date: Tue Apr 18 10:06:31 1995

just to cut that 1.1.1.1:

packets like trumpet etc. make 1.1.1.1 the default before negotiation.
If a dial up user gets on a PPP port where his address is not negotiated,
but accepted, the (trumpet, winsocks etc) default wil lkick in.

That's where 1.1.1. comes from: a dial in port is improperly configured
to accept the offered dial-up customer address, instead of negotiating it.

Most comservers I know have the flag 'negotiated' for PPP adress and
should sit there.

Next config error is then to accept incoming routes from PPP connections
and to propagate them through the network, even over to other peers.

This does not occur with the other frequent default of 0.0.0.0 since most
braindamaged equipment 'thnks' subnet 0 is 'unusable'.

1.1.1.1 only shows up if something is not configured right on the
provider side.

Mike

On
Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Michael Dillon wrote:

> I mentioned some of the thread re: 1.1.1.1 on portmaster-users because
> there seemed to be an implication that Livingston's Portmaster had a
> problem in its PPP implementation. Now I get a question that I don't know
> enough to answer. Perhaps one of you could help this fellow....

Michael F. Nittmann                                             [email protected]
Network Architect						[email protected]
B3 Corporation, Marshfield, WI (CIX Member)               (715) 387 1700 xt. 158
US Cyber (SM), Washington DC				  (715) 573 2448
							  (715) 831 7922