Re: Internic address allocation policy

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon Mar 20 17:33:08 1995

> I am told by someone with direct knowledge that all they want is some
> estimate of numbers of pops and methods of connecting them.  IE some data
> about proposed network topology and nothing more and that they pledge to
> keep this confidential.
>
> Karl defined what was wanted in rather broader terms unless I
> misunderstood his message.  Why can't some general estimate at this
> fairly high and abstract level with geographic locations of POPS not
> precisely pin pointed  (pick the radius that suits you - 10 miles - 5- or
> 50 miles) be given.  Several people directly involved in the process are
> telling me that such general and fairly abstract data is quite sufficient
> and that they absolutely do NOT want anything to do with how the ISP
> defines it future market.
>
> Karl:  is it your point that you cannot even give general data without
> giving away more than you want about market you are pursuing?

> Gordon Cook, Editor & Publisher       Subscript.: Individ-ascii  $85

No, we provided them with that general data and were told that wasn't
enough information for them to make a decision.  The general case is
publically known and isn't something that is considered proprietary; the
specific case is, and is not something we're about to disclose.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 6 POPs online through Chicago, all 28.8
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "[email protected]" for more information
ISDN: Surf at Smokin' Speed  | WWW: http://www.mcs.net, gopher: gopher.mcs.net