Re: ATM Utility

  • From: Pushpendra Mohta
  • Date: Wed Nov 09 02:35:48 1994

Vadim Antonov writes:

> >Wide-area DS-3 ATM service can often be cost effective because:
> >
> >o       The number of DS-3 local loops is often reduced
> >
> >        [For example, three DS-3s connecting three sites require
> >        six local loops, while three DS-3 ATM connections require only
> >        three local loops.]
> >
> >o       DS-3 ATM pricing seems to typically be distance-insensitive.
>
> The same applies to wide-area native IP network.  My point is that
> native IP is more cost-effective than IP-over-ATM.
>
> --vadim

Thats a matter of relative pricing offered by different vendors.

I investigated this for my post NSFNET architecture and in one notable
case, I found the reverse to be be true for the effective bandwidths I
was looking for. ;-)

--pushpendra

Pushpendra Mohta              [email protected]        +1 619 455 3908