Re: ATM Utility

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Tue Nov 01 00:34:07 1994
  • Posted-date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 21:33:03 +1600 (PST)

> > Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 14:43:37 -0400
> > From: Vadim Antonov <[email protected]>
> > To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
> >         [email protected]
> > Subject: Re:  wiretapping continues....
> > Cc: [email protected]
> > 	[...]
> > We will hit limitations of the present/then-future routing technology
> > long before we'll exhaust the possibilities to increase the
> > NAP aggregate and access bandwidth by cheap incremental upgrades.
> > That's the whole point of Sprint NAP architecture. ATM/SMDS/Flame Delay
> > do not get even close to what we achieve (and ATM is not useful yet).
> > 	[...]
>
> I believe that ATM, even in its perhaps immature state, is useful and
> cost-effective in a number of applications today.  In particular,
> the cost of wide-area DS-3 ATM services can be very attractive
> when compared to a number of point-to-point DS-3s.
>
> -tjs

The minor point that might have been missed is that there is a tradeoff
between point-to-point DS-3s (at 44.7Mbps in clear channel) vs ATM DS-3s
(at 34Mbps w/ ATM framing).  Now if I can get four ATM DS3s for less than
I can get 3 point-to-point DS3s, then I can get a win. (raw bandwidth
being about equal... :)

--bill