Re: The "best" version of "ping"?

  • From: Hans-Werner Braun
  • Date: Tue Oct 04 20:12:10 1994

>> Throughout the years, I've seen a number of different versions of "ping" with
>> various features like:
>>
>>     - "-f" switch which pings a destination as fast as possible
>>     - "-c" switch which acts like the ping function on a cisco router
>>     - TTL reporting
>>     - improved clock resolution
>>     - ability to specify data pattern
>>     - ability to source jumbograms
>
>I have a version with all that which I have not packaged up.  If there
>is interest and someone sent me a round tuit, I could make it
>available via FTP.  It also does:
>
>	- record route
>	- loose and strict source routing
>	- specify fixed or incremental TTL
>	- Send ICMP MASK REQUEST packets
>	- Send ICMP INFO REQUEST packets
>	- IP multicast support
>
>Jeff

The version I typically use:

Usage:  ping options address
        -c count        packet count
        -d              enable socket debugging
        -f              flood
        -t              send ICMP timestamp requests
        -g gateway      loose source route
        -i interval     timeout
        -l preload      preload count
        -m              report missing summary
        -n              numeric address reporting
        -p pattern      specify fill pattern
        -q              quiet
        -r              don't use routing table
        -s packetsize   packet size
        -v              verbose
        -C              cisco-style
        -F              fast
        -S address      src_address
        -G gateway      strict source route
        -R              record route

I added reporting of all the timestamps in ICMP timestamp requests to, to
get indications of asymmetric routes/delays and so, based on observing
changes over time.

Hans-Werner