Re: Comments

  • From: Andrew Partan
  • Date: Mon Sep 12 13:38:25 1994

> Actually, I think the RA (in the context of coordinated routing registries
> and route servers) does provide a gain.  Virtually all the RIPE papers (ripe81
> and derivitives) indicate that a common route registry will become a critical
> component in the internet.  (RIPE has had a functioning RS @ mae-east for
> a number of years now)  The use of such services has several advantages,
> including reducing the number of peers that you MUST peer with. None of this
> precludes your ability to set up as many bilateral arraingments as you as an
> ISP, feel you need.

Please be careful about mixing route registries and route servers.  I
think each serves different purposes & different arguements can be made
for the usefulness of each.

I presonally am not yet sure of the usefulness of route servers.
However I do think that route registries are very useful.
	[email protected] (Andrew Partan)