Re: Comments

  • From: Matt Mathis
  • Date: Tue Sep 06 00:48:20 1994

I think people are missing the point: If you are connected to a NAP, MAE-east,
or many other interconnects, you are golden as far as domestic US
connectivity.  (Assuming your choice of interconnect doesn't melt in the
process)

The problem, for non-US providers, is that trans-US connectivity is not
assured.  In fact, quite the contrary.  A link from Europe to an east
coast interconnect could easily support traffic between Europe and all
customers of all US NSPs.  The problem is that unless the European provider
has an explicit agreement with some US NSP, none of the NSP's will announce
the European networks to the west coast interconnect necessary for the routes
to reach the Pacific rim.   In fact any NSP that "leaks" such routes without a
contract will be providing an un-funded service to the European provider.

Since the "explicit agreement" means money, all forign providers are
unhappy.

--MM--

P.S.  Not supporting T1 NAP connections is not anti-competitive, because a T1
sized provider is far below economic scale anyhow.  These days, many
medium sized colleges have outgrown T1.  Small regionals (1 state) are likely
to be pushing Ethernet aggregate rates.  You can not possibly support enough
customers on a T1 to finance the coast-to-coast span.

P.P.S.  If I were a forign provider I would strongly consider connecting
directly to an NSP, as though I were a domestic customer.   The NSP can
provide whatever B.W. you want, announce you to all interconnects, and deal
with debugging this mess..., er I mean assuring proper operation and quality
of service.

I should say that I think that all of this is good, and in the end, the
Internet will be better for it.

Take care,
--MM--