Re: Comments

  • From: Hans-Werner Braun
  • Date: Mon Sep 05 22:54:22 1994

>Would someone please explain why connecting to MAE East would NOT be as good
>as connecting to a NAP in the case that Peter ford mentions below?

Gordon:

No reason, I think. Providers will make individual decisions, based on
their own judgement, guided by technical, financial, and political
considerations. I happen to think that the NAPs are a fine thing, be it
for primary interconnect, or as a contingency. That should not prevent
people to find alternate means of interconnections, if they feel they
are more sound for whatever reson they may have. If you were a
hard-nosed non-opinionated regional/non-US/whatever service provider,
just out to make money with your clients and needing interconnectivity,
what would your priorities be? Stability? Cost? Need to reach above the
95th percentile of the community? Reputation? What would be your model
and priorities of a good interconnect service provider in such a
situation? If you have that model, you could create a matrix and make a
solid decision, I would think.

Hans-Werner