Re: Comments

  • From: Jessica Yu
  • Date: Tue Aug 30 11:06:31 1994

>The approach indicated in section two of the MERIT paper is a common
>approach that was generally approved in both the NANOG meeting and a
>NAP participant meeting that was held during the Toronto IETF.

And this is the approach two of the NAP providers are planning to implement
their NAPs initially.

>So, I suggest the MERIT paper should not be viewed as the only or
>desired method of connecting to an ATM NAP.  It should be carefully read
>as the documentation of a successful experiment.

This paper describes a solution to connect the RS and do routing on the
currently planned ATM-NAP technology (i.e. RFC1490/AAL5) based on the
availability of the products.  If we want to connect to the planned ATM-NAP
now, that is the approach.

The paper does not address the issue of selecting protocol stacks for the
ATM-NAPs.  It is beyond the scope of the paper.  We have a revised version
which clarifies this point.

						--jessica