Route path simulator

  • From: Michael E. Fox
  • Date: Thu Jun 02 10:41:09 1994

Sorry for the cross posting but I thought input from all these groups might
be beneficial.

I'm looking for some type of simulation program that would enable a network
manager to view the route taken by packets in a complex IP network that
utilizes more than just hop-count metrics.  Imagine a 100+ node network with
link metrics ranging from 1 to 2000.  The goal is to determine (quickly and
easily) the path taken by a packet from any particular source point to any
particular destination point without having to manually add up all of the
metric combinations to determine the least cost path.  Another goal is to be
able to create a link failure and observe the new least cost path.  Another
goal is to be allow what-if scenarios where the network manager can change
the metric on a given link(s) and see the result.

Input to the simulation could be as simple as a flat file of point-to-point
links and their associated metrics.  Output could also be a character-based
flat file.  Graphical I/O would be ideal.  Note:  I'm not particularly
interested in simulating traffic patterns with varying inter-arrival rates
so something like Bones or CACI Network-II might be overkill.  Besides, I
don't even know if they can provide what I'm looking for above (can they?).
On the other hand, viewing traffic patterns might come in handy later.  Hmmmmm.

Any suggestions?

Michael Fox