Re: Operators Penalized? (was Re: Kenyan Route Hijack)

  • From: Larry J. Blunk
  • Date: Mon Mar 17 11:23:28 2008

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Jeff Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:
IMHO a better use of our time would be to solve the underlying technical
issue(s). Whether it's soBGP, sBGP, or something else, we need to figure
out how to make one of these proposals work and get it implemented.

Start with "implement RFC 2827 yourself, and start pushing other SPs to implement it" maybe?

srs

RFC2827 is about source address filtering which is not really the same as BGP route announcement filtering. Unfortunately, I have not come across any RFC's with a thorough discussion of route filtering. It is mentioned briefly in RFC 3013, but section 4.5 only suggests filtering routes for private address space. RFC 4778 also mentions it, but again, there is no in depth discussion. Perhaps it is time for an RFC dedicated to route filtering practices?

-Larry Blunk
 Merit