Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Sun Mar 27 23:50:40 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:22:15 +0100, Brad Knowles
<[email protected]> wrote:

>         Abusing someone else's poorly configured resolvers is not the way
> to solve this problem, and it's a bad habit to get into.

Er, I forgot to mention that it was my ISP whose resolver I used, and
I have a perfect right to use their resolver when necessary.  I try
not to, when I am traveling, given the latency.  But it is not like,
for example, using an open relay, or even using John Gilmore's open by
design relay at toad.com.

I dont know how, but dns requests to those resolvers worked, whereas
my local resolver got proxied through their dns .. if it was a
transparent proxy that'd not be the case.

-srs