Re: Internet Email Services Association ( wasRE: Why do so few mailproviders support Port 587?)

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Tue Mar 01 13:19:46 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 [email protected] wrote:

> > I'm skeptical that a model that only sort of works for under 30K ASNs
> > and maybe 1K bilateral peering agreements for the *really* big Tier-1s
> > won't scale to a world that has 40M+ .com domains and probably a million
> > SMTP servers.
>
> Well the way that I see this scaling is that you have a core of email
> service providers who are members of the Internet Mail Services
> Association.

The business world simply doesn't work that way.  Ever heard of the phrase
"Standards are great -- there's so many of them to choose from!"?

> These core operators sign up to a multilateral mail peering agreement and
> provide email transit services for other operators.
>
> The next layer is the non-core email service providers who have bilateral
> mail peering agreements with one or more core email transport providers.

Contrary to what you said before, this *IS* the UUCP model in a nutshell.
It has been done before, it does not scale, and it does not fit the way
business works today.

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]>