Re: XO Mail engineers?

  • From: David A.Ulevitch
  • Date: Wed Aug 04 17:53:07 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
This BCP seems to be changing.  The new BCP which seems to be evolving
requires customers to authenticate to their home mail server on the MSA
port and send mail that way.  This appears to be being driven by
SPF/Sender-ID-like mechanisms.

And at some point in the not-so-distant future {net|sys}ops will look up from their terminals, blink their eyes a few times and realize that they have just spent the last $x months jumping through a terrible number of hoops to support this SPF/SRS thing because "everyone is doing it." And they will realize that all that time/effort/money has still required users to change the way they do things and that operators had to waste time implementing a half-solution (or less) when (this may be unspeakable) in a similar amount of time/effort/money a real (drastic) solution could have been implemented.

I don't think SPF is worthless [1] but it isn't a drop-in solution and the impact on infrastructure will be significant if it becomes widely adopted.
I think people will realize that if we're remodeling the boat that much we should have at least made sure we were fixing something in the process...

-david

1: SRS may just be a boondoggle, we'll see.

David A. Ulevitch - Founder, EveryDNS.Net
http://david.ulevitch.com -- http://everydns.net