Re: more on VeriSign to revive redirect service

  • From: Chris Lewis
  • Date: Thu Oct 16 14:11:21 2003

[email protected] wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:16:53 CDT, Andrew D Kirch <[email protected]>  said:

I would certainly say there's an elitism, or perhaps a higher level of
credibility given to a .com or .net site, due to the fact that they've probably
existed for quite a bit longer than a .biz or .info.

Most of my spam points back to .com addresses.  Not much credibility generated
there...

There's sufficient churn on the bottom-feeding .com's that it's not a reliable
indicator.  Now you want *stability*, look for a site that's got a .arpa other than
in-addr.arpa :)
On the other hand, in our spam filters, we have a content filter block on the string ".biz" followed by a slash (I'm spelling it out because I don't think I've whitelisted this list). It works surprisingly well. Out of several tens of thousands of blocks per week on that rule, we get, perhaps, 3 FP reports. Which is an acceptable level of FPs given the overall effectiveness. Most of them are resolved by advising the sender to not end http://foo.bar.biz site-level URLs with a slash.