Re: 923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 13:37:37 2003

At 09:30 PM 07-03-03 -0800, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

        Sure, given a link you don't have to share with production
traffic and a lot of charity, it's possible to get TCP to do a lot
of things.  This doesn't make them a good idea (outside of those
`special' environments.)
10 years ago there was no www. No HTML. 10 years from now will find us using something we have not yet thought of and at speeds that today look as ridiculous as 100Mb/sec looked to the guys on the T1 NSFnet a bunch of years ago.

Problem is that TCP comes up against a wall. I have seen all too often ISPs in Europe contend with 150ms RTT and some user trying to do 30Mb/sec single TCP and not being able to even come close. In the US, where your general RTT is much lower, you haven't hit that wall just yet. But it will come. Then all the research that Internet2 and Geant have been doing at sites such as:
http://p2p.internet2.edu/
http://www.web100.org/
http://www.researchchannel.org/tech/ihdtv.asp
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/