Re: AMS-IX problems

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Oct 23 07:13:50 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

> > There seem to be large scale problems at the AMS-IX. BGP sessions with
> > peers keep oscillating. Since their own addresses keep jumping all over
> > the place, it is not possible to reach anyone over the AMS-IX tech list.

> > I have disabled all AMS-IX peerings for the networks I manage, and I
> > suggest everyone who is present there looks in to doing the same.

> According to Henk Steenman (CTO AMS-IX) everything is back to normal operations. AMS-IX is still investigating what happened.

I wouldn't call having to disable one link in the ring between the four
locations because spanning tree wouldn't converge otherwise "back to
normal", but yes, the AMS-IX is back to working order, as the large
number of backlogged "we are experiencing an outage" messages on the
AMS-IX mailinglist that just came in indicate...

It's very interesting to see the traffic stats at
http://www.ams-ix.net/hugegraph.html Usually, incoming and outgoing
traffic is the same. But during this problem, much more traffic went out
than came in.

Iljitsch van Beijnum