Re: Five bucks gets you a home network

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Thu Jan 31 14:56:20 2002

Or you could just get your IPv6 /64 prefix (18 trillion trillion trillion
addresses) for free using any one of the free IPv6 tunnel brokers.
Hurricane runs a free IPv6 tunnel broker at http://tunnelbroker.com

It would be a bizzare twist of fate that if by quashing regular NAT the
cable companies sped up IPv6 adoption.

Mike.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Joseph T. Klein wrote:

> The toaster (which is running NetBSD) and the refrigerator are networked
> using the IPv6 mantra. So if DSL and Cable companies find that they can
> sell IPv6 to kitchen appliences at $5 per houshold, you think this
> could lead to deployment?
>
> So my new IPv6 cell phone can get an SMS from my refrigerator if the milk
> is going bad.
>
> Now $5 if it also does fire and burgler alarm functions, it is cheaper than
> a phone line.
>
> If I get $5 dollars from a million users ... hmmmm.
>
> Don't forget gamers and peer to peer networking.
>
> On Thursday, 31 January 2002 08:29 -0800 Jim Shankland <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Andy Walden <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> ... reading through Commcast's AUP doesn't reveal this policy
> >> either. I think it was largely trollbait.
> >
> > Could be.  But AT&T Broadband out here just resent its terms of service
> > with the monthly bill, and stated that it's strictly prohibited to
> > attach more than one device to the cable service.  They reminded
> > their customers that a second IP address is available for an extra
> > $5/month.
> >
> > I suppose one could get lawyerly and argue that you *are* attaching
> > a single device -- the NAT box -- to their network; other devices
> > are merely attached to the NAT box.  But I don't think that was their
> > intent.
> >
> > Whether this pricing model is enforceable aside, it is also in direct
> > conflict with the projection that some day soon, the refrigerator, the
> > hot tub, the stove, the stereo, the room thermostat, the garage door
> > opener, etc. will all be IP-addressable.  I'll be damned if I'll spend
> > an extra $5/month for my refrigerator to surf the web, and I'll bet I'm
> > not alone :-).
> >
> > Jim Shankland
> --
> Joseph T. Klein
> [email protected]

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric       Web Hosting  Colocation         Fax 510 580 4151 |
| [email protected]                                           http://www.he.net |