Re: California PUC orders outage notification

  • From: Brian Russo
  • Date: Sun Apr 01 10:29:47 2001

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 11:00:32AM -0800, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> > From: Bora Akyol [mailto:[email protected]]
> >
> > I don't understand why they don't go to planned blackouts instead of
> > unplanned blackouts. This may actually drive the demand down
> > and price
> > with it. Plus maybe the population would decline with people
> > migrating
> > to South Dakota and all (for those of you that are not living
> > in the SF
> > Bay Area, S.D. has been advertising extensively on the radio
> > as a good
> > place to do business with ample energy).
>
> The argument against such planned blackouts are, Crypts, Bloods, F-troop, et
> al. (gangs/looters, for those whom aren't familiar) IOW, physical security.
> Numerous blackouts have proven that social predators take advantage of
> situations where no one can see them, the power is out, and the police are
> otherwise occupied.

conversely, it gives everyone
(homeowners, police, private security, noc monkies, et al)
a chance to plan accordingly.

OTOH, if you go with unplanned blackouts..
its not that difficult for organized thieves to use diffused
lookouts communicating via radio/cell/pcs/sms with their buddies
who just drive in a few pickups/vans and scoop away the stuff
when the lights go out..

--
Brian Russo      <[email protected]>
Debian/GNU Linux <[email protected]> http://www.debian.org