Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Jon Mansey
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 18:56:59 2000

Telling your customers they can't telnet, ssh, or VNC into their home
boxes
costs you all your *nix users,
all 0.1% of them.....

and telling them they can't use Napster
costs
you all your Windows users.
Erm, I thought napster worked OK through NAT...

The few Mac users you have left don't keep you profitable.  :-)
Isnt it time we differentiated between a home surfer who 99.9% of the time never needs to access his home machine from outside and in fact may be happy that others cant access his "always-on" machine, and those who need a real IP address to host some service or other?

Seems that for the paltry $39/m for a T1 speed cable access, I shouldn't deserve a dedicated IP address inlcuded.

IMHO,

jon.