Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Mar 12 13:38:25 2000

On Fri, 10 March 2000, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> I believe this to be such a common communication protocol and procedures
> for handling issues to be of great necessity and desireability. If 10% of
> the vast number of people that have expressed their opinions on these
> issues were each willing to put up a little money, we could solve this
> problem once and for all.

I used to work for a company which spent several hundred thousand dollars
every year on memberships to various groups, and more money to send
people to various meetings.  My question always is when somone proposes
forming yet another group, which groups should I drop my support so I
can join your new group?

If all the existing groups are broken, CERT, CIX, CNRI, FIRST, IETF, IOPS,
NANOG, RIPE, etc, can any of them be fixed?  Or is a new group the only
option.

In reality money isn't the biggest issue.  I was naive once, and created
a business plan for a new group.  ISPs and VCs were willing to give me
lots of money.  The real problems were time, people and information.
Companies are more than willing to join new groups, and add their logos
to the membership page.  But too often their engineers are told they are
not allowed to contribute or acknowledge any issues or problems.  All
they can do is say "Here" when roll is called.

I can start setting up the infrastructure tommorrow, but until something
happens to permanently scare the heck out of the boards and stockholders,
any new group will just be a shell.