Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Sat Jan 15 17:23:54 2000

[ On Saturday, January 15, 2000 at 14:13:48 (-0600), Damon M. Conway wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS
>
> there's nothing wrong with that logic.  i used to work for a little company
> here in Austin called MIDS.  as sys/net admin on that network i fielded
> several requests from other networks to stop sending icmp echo requests to
> their network.  we did this in an attempt to chart the "performance" of the
> Internet.  you can argue about the validity of those measurements all you
> want.  however, when we recieved a request to stop, we stopped.  we then
> contacted the person who requested the halt, and explained to them what we
> were doing.  if they understood and wished to continue to participate, we
> put them back in our lists.  if they didn't want to participate, i thanked
> them and put them in a list of networks not to measure.  it's called being
> a responsible netizen.  it's just that simple.  i would bet that if ORBS
> had taken a similar measure they could have worked out something with
> Abovenet.  instead ORBS behaved in an "inappropriate" manner, and Abovenet
> took steps to ensure that unauthorized probes of their network were not
> allowed to reach their hosts.

I understand that fully.  ORBS *does* honour requests to stop, or at
least they claim to and there's evidence they do in their database
(stopping probing incidentally supposedly causes the network to be
permanently listed).  They claim they've never had any such requets from
AboveNET.  Who am I supposed to believe?  I'm just an ORBS user and I
only know one AboveNET person because of his on-line personality.

Please visit http://www.orbs.org/, select the first link, and read their
side of the story before making incorrect assumptions.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>