Re: [NOOP] 24x7 NOC..

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 00:07:47 1997

On Oct 2, "Kent W. England" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You might as well do the whole nine yards. Is there a decent ISP network
> management system or is it still OpenView and a lot of utilities?

	I've been playing with lots of 'em recently.  Of the free
	ones, only MRTG and Tkined are worth a damn -- even though
	lots of people swear by NOCOL, I've been swearing at it
	'cause the configuration is hard to visually parse and not
	consistent across the various monitoring programs.

	I'd have to say that I prefer HP Openview to Tkined, but for
	what I'm doing the difference is not so great that Openview
	would be worth the money.

	Also, Tnm (the Tcl add-on that is used by Tkined) has lots
	of useful hooks for SNMP, ping, etcetera, and can be used to
	write custom stuff pretty easily.  I'll be distributing some
	of what I write here once I'm happy with how it functions.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-650-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."